Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Fight city hall!

I'm catching up on some back issues of The Atlantic that piled up while I was in school. This quote in the May issue was originally printed in the magazine in 1973 in an essay entitled "The Force That Drives the Flower" by Annie Dillard. It made me laugh.
When I read how many thousands of dollars a city like New York has to spend to keep underground water pipes free of ailanthus, ginko, and sycamore roots, I cannot help but give a little cheer. After all, water pipes are almost always an excellent source of water. In a town where resourcefulness and beating the system are highly prized, these primitive trees can fight city hall and win.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Adriana at 10:26 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Creative Commons License
Adriatic Bear by Adriana Arcia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.